Hi guys! I have been away for a while! I have been working on this huge project so I haven't had time to really cook something special until yesterday!
I love love love pastry desserts and especially these cream puffs! They are so yummy you could finish a whole batch under 30 minutes! You can buy these at bakeries for around $2.50 each depending on the size but I decided to make these at home. It did take a while but the effort was pretty worth it!
I got this recipe from http://www.tasteofhome.com and it turned out great. I did not use strawberries since I did not have any on hand but without it tastes as good too. I am wondering if I should put custard in the puffs next time?
For the puffs I did not cut it in half and put the cream in that way. I just inserted the cream into the puff balls instead with cream. Turned out messy though :P.
You will need:
Chocolate Cream Puffs
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 4 eggs
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 3 cups coarsely chopped fresh strawberries
- In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, bring water, butter and salt to a boil. Add the flour and cocoa all at once; stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until smooth and shiny.
- Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until set and browned. Remove to wire racks. Immediately split puffs open; remove and discard soft dough from inside. Cool puffs completely.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar until fluffy. Fold in whipped cream and strawberries. Fill bottom halves of puffs; replace tops. Serve immediately.
Yield: 15 servings.