I found a coconut slice recipe on taste.com.au and I cut down the sugar to about 1/2 a cup. I knew that 1 cup of caster sugar would be tooo sweet! This recipe is simple and quick and most of the family will enjoy it.....well maybe all of them!
Jam Coconut Slice Recipe
adapted from taste.com.au
- 2 cups plain flour
- *** 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 125g butter, chilled, cubed
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3/4 cup strawberry jam (ANY JAM)
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line a 3cm deep, 24cm x 29.5cm (base) lamington pan. Process flour, 1/2 cup sugar and butter to resemble breadcrumbs.
- Add 1 egg and vanilla.
- Process to form a dough.
- Press dough into base of prepared pan.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until light golden.
- Spread jam over warm base. (you will find it easier to spread when the jam is warmed in the microwave for a couple of seconds)
- Whisk remaining eggs and remaining 1/2 cup sugar together.
- Stir in coconut.
- Spread over jam.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden.
- Cool completely in pan.
- Cut into pieces. Serve