About

Pages - Menu

23.2.10

Vanilla Swiss Roll


Hi guys!  I thought I would make some cake yesterday for my student that is staying with me from Japan.  He loves cake and I thought this was an easy plain yet tasty treat for him to munch on for lunch.   He hardly eats cake over in Japan since his mum is quite busy with working in the health field.  So he is munching lots here before he gets back!  I hoping for him to make sushi with me before he leaves this week!  That would be awesome!



Now I just used an easy sponge recipe you can find in my post earlier this year on Vanilla Pandan Mango Swiss Roll.  If you want to make 2 sponge rolls like I did...just double it up!  I added a bit of honey in it as well to make it a honey flavor and made an easy vanilla butter cream to top it off.  If I had fresh cream I would certainly have used it!

To make the butter cream (to thinly paste it on 2 sponge cakes) use about 200grams of chopped unsalted butter and add some icing sugar (according to your sweet tooth) and beat until all smooth and creamy like.  Then at the end add a drop of vanilla essence and beat well.  I got this tip off a online friend of mine named Jack who is a chef by trade (something like that lol).    Tasted very good too!

Then roll it up with a parchment paper carefully and slowly starting from the end of the cake and work up.  My sponge cake did not crack and it shouldn't crack.  If so there is something wrong with the way you folded the mixes in I think.   When finished rolling and looks intact....cut the cake into 2inch thick pieces!  And ENJOY!!

The Japanese student loved it and of course my partner!!  Swiss roll is always easy to make and very easy to please people with :).  And you can put your own kind of variety of fillings to suit your taste and budget too!  Now that's awesome :D


All packed for lunch boxes!

13 comments:

  1. yum. for some reason i'm scared of making any kind of rolled cakes like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @justin: hi justin? it took me practice to master swiss roll rolling lol. i guess you have to be real gentle and slow and no rush. unless its something wrong with the batter..it might crack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so delicious...but I want to try the pandan mango swiss roll...I just don't know where to find pandan in the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great teacher you are :) He must be very happy to be staying with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @bo: ohh u want to try pandan :)..i love pandan. you can find it in your Asian supermarket! i am sure they have it :)..i am definitely sure hehe

    @tummy: yeahhh i hope he brings home some of the things i taught him...like essential life skills - cooking lol...or was it tossing sauce through spaghetti lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I baked this once some years ago , it cracked once I tried to roll it....pathetic , yours look good and successful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh.. that look very nice and yummy.. I Like some please:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice vanilla swiss roll cake. :) Simple yet delicious. I can never stop at eating just one. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Ann, This is yummy, did your student polished all in short time...hahaa...

    ReplyDelete
  10. @fly: really? try it again :).

    @ vinnie: yes i know you like it lol

    @ honey bee sweets: yeah i love swiss cakes! they are so moist and sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How I love swiss roll.. It looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi ann,

    thanks for dropping by my foodie blog =) I love your swiss roll, they look delicious! I haven't dive in the baking side yet that much, but this rolls are really good. I already got the swiss roll pans and will try this soon...

    ReplyDelete
  13. This food seemed delicious and easy to make, I should try it. thanks

    ReplyDelete