About

Pages - Menu

26.2.10

Fried Teriyaki Chicken Drumsticks/Wings

My Japanese friend left yesterday and it was a sad yet a happy day.   I get a bit of time off to focus on other things and he gets to go home to see his loved ones again. He talks about his best friend a lot so I guess he was a bit homesick from the beginning when he stayed.

During the 2 weeks here in my home I have made pretty much Asian and Aussie Western style food for him. I only made Maki Sushi and I forgot to mention I did make Teriyaki Chicken last week.

 Fried Teriyaki Chicken

I remember 3 hungry tummies making this dish so I lurked (lol sounds bad) through their pages and tah dah...found it under Teriyaki Chicken on Rice .  Though I did not have all the ingredients they had the Japanese friend said I don't need the condiments....he said "I just like meat -_-".  It's just good with honey, some brown sugar, rice wine, sesame seeds, julienne ginger, rice wine vinegar and light soy sauce.    We just ate the teriyaki chicken wings and drum sticks without the condiments!   It would be nice if I had pickled ginger and radish but oh wells.  I fried it instead of baking it.

The ingredients are minimal and you probably have all the ingredients if you have an Asian pantry :). 

Fried Teriyaki Chicken Drumsticks/Wings

ingredients

  • 20 pieces of chicken wings or drumsticks
  • 1/2 cup of soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup of rice wine vinegar
  • 1 TBS of honey (I did not measure I just squeezed as much as I wanted)
  • 3 TBS of brown sugar
  • piece of julienne ginger (maybe a 1 tbs?)
  • some sesame seeds (don't have to but I think it looks pretty :D)

METHOD

  • Put all the ingredients together to make a marinade.  Whisk or mix well.  And pour over chicken in a big bowl.
  • Put in fridge to marinate 1 hour 

marinate chicken

  • Then take out and cook chicken on a lightly oiled large pan on medium high heat for about 10 minutes or until one side turns brown
 
Frying one side first and then the other side

  • Turn each chicken over, add marinate, add some water and cover with lid and cook for another 10 minutes or you can check but cutting a piece of chicken in the middle with a sharp knife.  If the juice comes out bloody then still needs to be cooked.  If the juice runs clear the chicken is definitely cooked!  Just don't over cook it.
  • The marinate should turn into a lovely sticky brown colour.
  • Serve the chicken over hot jasmine rice and pour teriyaki syrup over the dish.  Yum!

5 comments:

  1. Oh they look fantastic :) I would like some with my porridge tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love teriyaki chicken! These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @3 hungry tummies: thanks! yeah it turned out pretty good and my japanese friend approved!

    @sook: thanks!

    @somewhere in singapore: :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love anything teriyaki!!! I really want to try these too...Everything you cook looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete