Beef on Mustard Greens is always a favourite in my home. I always tend to cook this up because it is easy, quick and healthy. Moreover, the ingredients are always available in my fridge. The recipe takes about 15 minutes to cook and usually served with jasmine rice.
With my version of Beef on Mustard Greens I use hoi sin sauce just to give it more flavour! It's delicious because yes I made it lol and such a homey meal. The gravy that is made out the juicy beef is just mouth watering and the mustard greens leaves a nice crunch when steamed/fried for a couple of minutes. Sometimes I eat this dish with vermicelli noodles or even eggs noodles but overall I prefer it with a nice bowl of rice. If the sauce is not salty enough for me I suggest to make a small bowl of soy sauce mixed with sesame oil and if you like spice add chopped chilli! YUMMM!!
Well if you want to try this ..........here is the recipe. Note: I don't really measure the sauces....I just go by my taste...you know trial and error :P. These are just approximate measurements.
Beef on Mustard Greens (serves 2)
- 500 grams of beef (ground or rump etc) sliced thinly
- 1 bunch of mustard greens, washed thoroughly, drained and halved
- vegetable oil
- 1 onion sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic sliced
- 2 tbs of hoi sin sauce
- 1 tbs of light soy sauce and extra
- 3/4 cup of water
- 1 tsp of cornstarch
- salt and pepper to taste
- jasmine rice, cooked (follow instructions on packet)
- Firstly cook rice according to instructions
- In a fry pan, add garlic and fry til fragrant. Then add the mustard greens and stir fry until tender on medium high heat. Add some light soy sauce. Remove from pan and set aside on a plate.
- In a small bowl add cornstarch, water, light soy sauce and hoi sin sauce and mix well until cornstarch dissolves. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add onion and garlic and stir fry til onion is half way cooked. Then add the beef strips. Stir fry til its browned. Remove beef and lay this on top of the mustard greens. The pan should have some of the broth/juice left over from cooking the beef.
- With the cornstarch mixture, add that into the same pan and cook until the sauce thickens. Add in the beef and stir around until coated. Take out and lay on greens again. And top with the gravy generously.
- Serve with rice!
Okay off to make chicken wings tonight! :). Have a good day.