About

Pages - Menu

20.2.10

Indonesian Beef Rendang


I remember I had Indonesian beef rendang late last year in November 2009.   It was part for a Muslim celebration my neighbour invited me to come a long. The food was different but fabulous. My favourite dish of course was the rendang. It is a very nice beef not very like curry that is slowly cooked through coconut milk and spices like turmeric, ginger, galangal, turmeric leaf, lemon grass and chillies. You can eat it over rice or with rice blocks.

I loved it so much that I had to make it myself.    So I searched for a simple recipe and turned out nearly the same :).

Here is an easy recipe I got off Indochef.com

Ingredients:

  • 500 gr. Rump steak.
  • 2 Onions.
  • 4 Garlic cloves.
  • 3 Fresh red chillies.
  • 2½ cm Ginger root.
  • 1 teaspoon Turmeric.
  • 1 tablespoon Paprika.
  • 1 stalk Lemon grass.
  • 3 Lime leaves.
  • 600 ml Coconut milk.
  • 75 ml water.

Preparation:
  • Put the Onions, Garlic, Chillies, Ginger, Paprika, Turmeric and Water in a food processor and make into a smooth paste.
  • Dice the meat and mix with half the paste. Set aside.
  • Put the other half of the paste into a heavy sauce pan and add the coconut milk, chopped lemon grass and lime leaves. Boil without the lid for about 30 min. until mixture is reduced to half. Add the meat mixture and return to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered, stirring regularly, for a further hour till the steak is tender. Serve with boiled rice.
Read more: http://www.indochef.com/indo_06.shtml

6 comments:

  1. looks very good! If you dry fry some desiccated coconut til brown then pound it and add it to the stew towards the end will make it even tastier :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious! I love food like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm....my favourite! Looks very delicious. I really miss this dish. I was so happy when my friend cooked beef rendang yesterday for our ladies' Chinese New Year party :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anythings with rice got my vote :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @3 hungry tummies: oh thanks hungry tummy! i never cooked indonesian before. i pretty much like it hey

    @ bo: yeah me too!

    @ marymoh: yeah my favourite indonesian dish i think now lols

    @ vinnie: yeah gots to love the rice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh sooo yummy yummy ! I love rendang the spicier the better.

    ReplyDelete