About

Pages - Menu

16.11.09

Pork Broth with Soft Rice Noodles

*adapted from Luke Nguyen's Vietnam's Hieu tieu suong heo recipe

Hey guys! How was your weekend? Mine was so busy :). I feel like such a house wife these days lol. My dream hehe.

I watched Luke Nguyen's Vietnam instead of the re-run of Glee last Thursday night. One recipe that really got me watching was his "Hieu tieu Suong Heo" which is just Pork Rib Broth with Soft Noodles. Sounds bland but it's so so so yummy. I know it was really hot on the weekend but I made it anyway. All ingredients you can get at any Asian Markets ...my favourite is Inala lol and then my second favourite are Sunnybank asian grocers.

I did not use pork ribs and the squid (cause i know it will stink the house lols) instead I just used pork bones (with the marrow mmmm) and pork shins.

Yum yum yum


Pork Broth with Soft Rice Noodles
serves around 6

You will need:

Broth
  • 5 liters of water
  • 1 kg pork bones with marrows and some not
  • 1/2 kg of pork shin (chop in large chunks)
  • 2 tbs salt
  • 4 tbs sugar
  • 6 tbs fish sauce (or more if you like salty)
  • 2 tbs whole black pepper
  • 1 tbs finely diced garlic (in this case I used 6 cloves minced)
  • 1/2 red onion chopped

Noodles
  • 2kg soft fresh noodles

Condiments
  • garlic chives
  • mint
  • bean sprouts
  • shallots
  • fried onions
  • lemon or lime
  • chilli and fish sauce (as the main sauce)
Instructions

In a large mixing bowl incorporate pork bones, pork shins (cut into large chunks), 1tbs salt, 2 tbs sugar, 3 tbs fish sauce, chopped red onions, minced garlic. Marinate for 2 to 3 hours. Or you can marinate over night for a deeper flavour.

Next in a large stock pot, add the marinated pork mix, pepper and then add in the 5L of water.

Bring the pot to boil, skin off impurities for 10 minutes and so. Keep an eye on it until the broth is clear. Reduce heat to low simmer and place on lid. Cook for 2 hours. Still keep an eye on it for anymore impurities that come to surface. Add the remaining fish sauce, salt and sugar. And importantly, taste if the broth is salty enough for you. For me, I did not add anymore salt/fish sauce cause it was already nice and salty for me. Depending on your tongue hey lol.

In another large stock pot, bring to boil water and blanch each portion of noodles for 10 secs and drain.

Take out pieces of the shin meat and cut in bit sized pieces and then add to each bowl and then cover with the hot pork broth.

Then to each bowl add bean sprouts, chives, mint, fried onion, chilli and squeeze lime or lemon on top. Make fish sauce and chilli for dipping the meat.

If the stock is bland still I recommend you to add chili fish sauce into it or just ad a bit of hoi sin into it. Sounds like pho now lol. I like the blandness....it's more healthy that way I guess lols.

No comments:

Post a Comment